[ale] UBuntu 17.10 EOL today

DJ-Pfulio djpfulio at jdpfu.com
Fri Jul 20 19:02:44 EDT 2018

On 07/20/2018 04:04 PM, Scott Plante wrote:

> I've never used Ubuntu though--If you want to go from 14 to 16 or 18, do you
> have to do a complete re-install, or will it upgrade cleanly?

As is usual, the answer is "it depends."

There have been lots of issues reported due to upgrading to 18.04, but these
tend to happen for non-trivial systems.  A desktop user who doesn't manually
install packages from outside those provided by the Canonical repos probably
won't have many, if any, issues.

Also, "LTS" doesn't mean automatic 5 yrs of support.  Only the core repos
provide that support, so the official Ubuntu Server and Ubuntu Desktop (gnome3)
get 5 yrs of support.  LXDE, XFCE, Mate and other flavors only have 3 yrs of LTS
support.

Not all kernels have LTS support either.
https://www.ubuntu.com/info/release-end-of-life