[ale] Android backup solutions?

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Sat Dec 22 21:32:05 EST 2018

On 2018-12-22 12:00, DJ-Pfulio via Ale wrote:
> I don't use google either. My contacts are my own business.
>
> For backups, if your device is rooted, then Titanium Backup is pretty easy.
> I've used it a few times. On non-rooted devices, it has some capabilities or it did.
>
> Or you can use ADB from a linux machine to backup stuff.  I've used that a few
> times for non-rooted devices. I prefer the ADB method.
>
> Both of these will backup APKs so you can side-load them onto a new device.
> That's handy should you want to avoid newer versions of an app that may have
> added "features" you don't consider features at all.

The USB port is dead (short circuit in the charging circuit) so ADB is
out of the question.  I have parts on the way so that I might salvage
the phone but I had to switch to a new one in the interim hence the need
for backups.  I don't mind reinstalling the applications from the Play
store but I want a lot of the application data that isn't stored in the
user's document location.  I also can't root the phone since that also
requires ADB.