[ale] Android backup solutions?

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Sat Dec 22 21:30:00 EST 2018

On 2018-12-22 11:49, James Taylor wrote:
> I don't use google, but if you do, you can back up to google, and when you sign in with google on the new phone, there will be an option to restore.
> I generally just reinstall the apps I need when I do a clean install.
> I use Novel launcher, so I can backup and restore with it's builtin feature.
> I use a usb connection to copy all off the data not synced otherwise to my computer, usually just pictures.
> One other thing I use an app called  sms backiup & restore by synctech pty ltd
> -jt

I can't force a Google backup on the old phone running Android 5.0
(Lollipop) because that feature isn't available for it.  You can force a
backup in Android 8 (Oreo).  Also the USB port is dead (short circuit)
so I can't plug anything into it.  I've ordered a replacement board in
the hope of fixing it later but in the interim I still need to back
application settings up. Other data like pictures and documents I can
SFTP off the phone and transfer them back.  It was mainly the
application data (settings) since not every application has an internal
backup/restore feature like Nova (which I do use).