[ale] Android backup solutions?

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Sun Dec 23 12:15:21 EST 2018

On 2018-12-21 15:46, Alex Carver via Ale wrote:
> Anyone know a good backup solution for Android that can pull just about
> everything out of the phone to be restored to another?  My phone's
> charging circuits died and I had to go get a new phone.  I have an
> external charger for the battery so I'll be able to get the phone up and
> running and connected via wireless but I need to be able to suck off all
> the data like application settings, etc. and push them to the new phone.

I got a half-backup completed.  Apparently the new phone came with an
application from Samsung that performs a rough copy from another phone
via a direct network connection.  It managed to copy the SMS messages,
contacts, and application list (but not the application data) and
documents over.  I still have to work out the application data part
(especially for things like the keys from ConnectBot) but the rest came
over which is good.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, I'll keep them handy so if I
manage to repair the phone, I can do the appropriate backup.  I would
probably try to load a custom ROM onto the old phone at that point which
means most backup features will probably work better.