[ale] Lower cost hosting for ALE

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 16:01:04 EST 2018

Chiming in late because, *shocker*, I was working all day. I actually tried
to squash that flame fest before it really started by contacting a couple
people off-list to suggest they just ignore the instigator. The
instigator's posts since joining have always been antagonistic. Sadly, it
didn't work.

I'm not sure a small VPS, as was discussed for a short while in that other
thread, would work for ALE. How much disk do the archives consume? What
about the spam bandwidth? I believe last time hosting of the list was in
question it was suggested to use Google Groups. It's not ideal, but it
might actually solve the hosting problem for the list. The actual website
would certainly be suitable for a VPS.

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 8:17 AM Jim Kinney via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:

> All,
>
> When I took on the hosting of ale web and email, I was hoping to see some
> growth in membership and thus a need for higher bandwidth to accommodate
> ALE. I raised my service level with Comcast to support more upload than my
> original lowest tier original service.
>
> That upgrade added about $150/mo that I would like to now scale back as
> it's not being used. I plan to reduce the bandwidth at the first of January
> 2019.
>
> Between now and March 1, 2019, I want ALE to either become substantially
> more active or relocate it's hosting. The server is a kvm virtual machine
> so it's readily transportable.
>
> And, yes, the latest squabble on the list impacted the decision to throw
> in the towel. 20 years on this list and a small-scale flame war is the last
> straw for my participation in ale life support. I used to step in and
> privately contact people to request better online behavior and respect for
> others. If that failed, I would urge the combatants to be silent or be
> gone. If that failed, I unsubscribed them with notice.
>
> When I volunteered to run the hosting (over a decade ago!?!), ale had
> 1600+ subscribers. One individual joined and was such an abrasive person
> that 1200 people unsubscribed over 3-4 months. The normal unsubscribe rate
> was 5-10 people a year. In hindsight, I should have been more forceful
> earlier at squashing the abrasive personalities.
>
> If ale is going to survive, it's going to need to develop some more formal
> structure with things like a code of conduct. If Linus can adapt and stop
> being abrasive, ale can too. The personal attacks should not be acceptable
> behavior.
>
> Maybe we need to spin off pale-ale, "Professional Association of Linux
> Experts - And Linux Enthusiasts" :-)
>
> Or lager, "Linux And Gnu Expert Resources".
>
> --
> Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. All tyopes are thumb related

James Sumners
http://james.sumners.info/ (technical profile)
http://jrfom.com/ (personal site)
http://haplo.bandcamp.com/ (music)