[ale] Network hardware/software recommendations

Ken Cochran kwc at TheWorld.com
Tue Aug 21 11:56:04 EDT 2018

Ok, guess I should get more specific...

Looking for Good Stuff for commercial/business/SOHO.

I like the idea of separating the router, switch & radio/AP,
like how the Bigs do it.

I also like (actually prefer) CLI config, but GUI ok as option,
just not GUI-only..

So this leads me to the following (could use some input/commentary):

- Juniper is Big Stuff for backbone, not SOHO.

- Cisco, good but CLI only for higher end eqpt & looks like
  their Good Stuff is expensive & more for enterprise(?)

- Ubiquiti looks interesting; I hear good about them, separate
  functions per above, CLI config throughout product line(?),
  nice step up from the Stuff We Get In Stores?

- Option of custom-building & "rolling my own" router-distro
  a la Smoothwall, pfSense, whatever.  Looks like good bit of
  research/due diligence getting proper hw for that.

So I guess my q is what have folks here done & liked?  Or not...

Thanks again, -Ken