[ale] Network hardware/software recommendations

Simba simbalion-ale at tailpuff.net
Mon Aug 20 18:32:26 EDT 2018

Depends on your purpose.

For home networking I like Netgear. For your gateway router I recommend
installing Advanced Tomato, so investigate hardware that is compatible.

For an office it's an entirely different game. Small 4-8 port Netgear
switches are fine at the desk level but you need industrial grade
equipment in the server room. All the brands you named are fine (Cisco,
Juniper, Ubiquiti).

GUIs are worthless. If you're wiring up an office forget about GUIs. If
you need a GUI you're under-qualified to wire up an office network.

Simba Lion - https://tailpuff.net
https://keybase.io/simbalion