[ale] Network hardware/software recommendations

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Tue Aug 21 13:39:10 EDT 2018

Have you looked in the ALE email archives?
Every few months a similar question is asked and options provided.
If you build your own, my only advice is to use Intel NICs.

On 08/21/2018 11:56 AM, Ken Cochran via Ale wrote:
> Ok, guess I should get more specific...
>
> Looking for Good Stuff for commercial/business/SOHO.
>
> I like the idea of separating the router, switch & radio/AP,
> like how the Bigs do it.
>
> I also like (actually prefer) CLI config, but GUI ok as option,
> just not GUI-only..
>
> So this leads me to the following (could use some input/commentary):
>
> - Juniper is Big Stuff for backbone, not SOHO.
>
> - Cisco, good but CLI only for higher end eqpt & looks like
>   their Good Stuff is expensive & more for enterprise(?)
>
> - Ubiquiti looks interesting; I hear good about them, separate
>   functions per above, CLI config throughout product line(?),
>   nice step up from the Stuff We Get In Stores?
>
> - Option of custom-building & "rolling my own" router-distro
>   a la Smoothwall, pfSense, whatever.  Looks like good bit of
>   research/due diligence getting proper hw for that.
>
> So I guess my q is what have folks here done & liked?  Or not...
>
> Thanks again, -Ken
>
>> To: ale at ale.org
>> Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2018 18:32:26 -0400
>> Subject: Re: [ale] Network hardware/software recommendations
>> From: Simba via Ale <ale at ale.org>
>>         Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts <ale at ale.org>
>>
>> Depends on your purpose.
>>
>> For home networking I like Netgear. For your gateway router I recommend
>> installing Advanced Tomato, so investigate hardware that is compatible.
>>
>> For an office it's an entirely different game. Small 4-8 port Netgear
>> switches are fine at the desk level but you need industrial grade
>> equipment in the server room. All the brands you named are fine (Cisco,
>> Juniper, Ubiquiti).
>>
>> GUIs are worthless. If you're wiring up an office forget about GUIs. If
>> you need a GUI you're under-qualified to wire up an office network.
>>
>> Simba Lion - https://tailpuff.net
>> https://keybase.io/simbalion
>>
>> "Why is a raven like a writing desk?"
>> On 8/20/18 6:28 PM, Ken Cochran via Ale wrote:
>>> Hi ALE,
>>>
>>> Turns out my question may be not so off-topic, since so much
>>> networking stuff these days has Linux-based software innards.
>>>
>>> So, what's "good" these days?
>>>
>>> "Good" meaning, solid, reliable, flexible, etc., dare-I-say
>>> "carrier grade" (probably a bs-term).
>>>
>>> Examples, the likes of Cisco, Juniper, umm, Ubiquiti, others?
>>>
>>> Stuff like routers, switches & WAPs, configurable by GUI
>>> and/or CLI, worth learning & developing proficiency for
>>> job/opportunity advancement.
>>>
>>> I keep hearing nice things about Ubiquiti for example.
>>>
>>> Or, the likes of (for example) Smoothwall & Something To Run It On...
>>>
>>> Ideas/opinions?
>>>
>>> Thanks, -Ken

Got Linux? Used on smartphones, tablets, desktop computers, media
centers, and servers by kids, Moms, Dads, grandparents and IT
professionals.