[ale] Hypervisors and such

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 13:59:01 EDT 2018

Ovirt on centos - connection issues between manager and all VMs, not os specific. Most of my VMs are also centos. 10Gbps network, gluster storage for replication x3, semi-periodic connection issues still in troubleshooting mode.

Virt-manager rocks for a single host or very small number of hosts. Found I could run it on my laptop and connect to and manage VMs on my home server (i.e., ale).

On April 6, 2018 1:45:52 PM EDT, DJ-Pfulio via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>I'm full of something, including opinions.
>
>But containers aren't hypervisors, so it seems the requirements need
>revisiting for clarification.
>
>;)
>
>I switched from Xen to KVM around 2010-ish.  Never regretted that.
>virt-manager is bonehead easy to use. No root required.  If you have
>fewer than 50 VMs, I'd suggest that any heavier solution isn't worth
>it.
>
>I don't have any clue about Docker support in libvirt, but I would be
>shocked if it wasn't there or in the short-list plans.
>
>Some people have reported issues with using CentOS + oVirt to run
>Ubuntu
>Server VMs and having the Ubuntu VMs lock up every few weeks.  I'm not
>seeing that, but not using CentOS as a host.
>
>I thought that running all containers inside a full VM was the current
>"best practice" for security.  Has that changed?
>

>On 04/06/2018 01:19 PM, Kyle Brieden via Ale wrote:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I'm looking to redo my hypervisor at home, and having some trouble
>> landing on a decision, so I'd like some input from y'all.  Something
>> just tells me there's gotta be some strong opinions on this floating
>> around this list.
>>
>> Background:
>> Current HVZ is Xen 4.4.2, with Dom0 being Ubuntu 14.04 because, at
>the
>> time back in 2015, that was the LTS that had the most up to date Xen
>> packages.  I do most everything via CLI, from creating config files
>> setting up LVM volumes for backing each machine.  VM system storage
>is
>> local to the hypervisor, and larger storage is NFS exported to VMs
>from
>> my FreeNAS box.
>>
>> Wants:
>> I am kind of tired of doing everything via CLI.  I'm getting lazier
>> these days, so I want something that has a usable, understandable
>GUI.
>> I was considering ProxMox for it's additional container management,
>but
>> they're LXC containers.  I've nothing against LXC containers, but I
>use
>> docker daily, and it doesn't behoove me to learn a second technology
>> just for at home, especially when Docker has the momentum and
>community
>> that it has.
>>
>> I also want something that I can keep up to date without having to do
>> fresh install with a new major version.  Insert jokes about Arch
>Linux
>> rolling release model here.
>>
>> Thanks for the opinions, everyone!
>>
>> ---
>> Very respectfully,
>> Kyle Brieden

Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. All tyopes are thumb related and reflect authenticity.