[ale] Coursera: Arduino and C

Joe Knapka jknapka at kneuro.net
Thu Apr 5 02:18:04 EDT 2018

On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 10:20 AM, Charles Shapiro via Ale <ale at ale.org>
wrote:

> Byron is correct.   I'm currently working on an "Intro to Raspberry Pi"
> class for Decatur Makers.  I've got code to control an LED from a browser
> in several different ways.  It's pretty hard to get the LED to blink faster
> than about once a second on a Pi running Raspbian because you're talking to
> it through an entire multi-user OS.

I find that statement... shocking, I guess. There's an OS, yes, but also
the RPi is clocked 100-ish times faster than an Uno. I mean it can render
full-motion video in real time, right? C code to twiddle a pin on the RPi
ought to be able to flash an LED at a rate that looks like steady-on to a
human... your web page can invoke that C code as a CGI script or whatever.

Or when you say "control an LED from a browser", do you mean the on/off
transitions are being controlled by code running in the browser? Because
then that would make sense to me. But it wouldn't be about Arduino vs RPi,
it would be about browser+network vs hardware.

Confused,

- JK

[snip]