[ale] systemd bad. Very bad.

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Fri Jun 30 12:56:32 EDT 2017

On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 12:13:45PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> Hey Soloman, this is Steve Litt you're talking to, not some half-witted
> dweeb susceptable to Pid Eins type logical fallacies. Comparing systemd
> to sysvinit is a false choice fallacy.

First, please spell my name correctly.  It's just sloppy.

Second, I don't know you from Adam.  Are you claming that I should just
accept what you say becasue of who you are?  (Hey, that's also an
"appeal to authoirty" fallacy! Isn't logic wonderful?)

Third, I shouldn't have to point out that, here, you're judged on what
you write.

> There are a multitude of Linux-compatible init systems. Most of them
> don't use those obnoxious huge sysvinit style init scripts, but instead
> use either systemd style declaritive stuff, or a typically >10line run
> script. No PID file necessary. Some even come with their own stripped
> down, low attack surface "shell" language.

Your point about sysvinit not being the only other option is reasonable,
but it's orthogonal to my point -- systemd-resolved is *not* part of an
init system and as such cannot be considered part of an init system's
"attack surface" any more than apache, openssh, or bind would be.

If you're going to claim otherwise, then you're moving the "attack
surface" goal posts to encompass everything an init system could
potentially invoke or execute, which in turn means that "multitude of
Linux-compatible init systems" also share an equally huge attack
surface.

If you don't like systemd, that's quite all right; to each their own.  I
certianly won't turn you on a rack until you confess your sins and
accept toe joy of Pottering into your heart of hearts.

If you're going to critizize something, especially on technical grounds,
It's a good idea to make sure your argument actually applies to what
you're critizing (and doesnm't apply to what you hold up as
alternatives)

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Delray Beach, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^