[ale] systemd bad. Very bad - OT - Apple

Lightner, Jeffrey JLightner at dsservices.com
Fri Jun 30 09:08:38 EDT 2017

Long ago I considered Apple evil and MS less so because MS products didn’t tie you to MS proprietary hardware for the most part.

UNIX flavors by and large did tie you to proprietary architectures but even as far back as 286 Xenix would run on Intel and by 386 AT&T was making UNIX for their own PCs.  SCO early on was available and was agnostic as to hardware maker.  I used it on 486 & Pentium (and AMD).  Of course SCO (the company not the OS) later became evil in its own right for other reasons.  I began thinking of MS as evil when they came out with NT because at the time Bill said they wanted to take over the UNIX market.   (That didn’t happen but they did kill Novell Netware for fileservers).

Nothing Apple has done with iPhone or MacBook or other products (other than bringing in a UNIX kernel) has made me think they are less evil than I did back in the 80s.

Having said that, I will note that I was impressed when they made a server called the Quadra 950(I think).  It ran System7 AND also ran their then new version of UNIX called A/UX.   Moreover it had a seamless overlap of the 2 that worked quite well.   I was able to run an interpreter for DB/C which we used for our code at one employer on the System7 side and run our actual database and files controlled by that code on the A/UX side.