[ale] Basic/playing-around distro

Ken Cochran kwc at shell.TheWorld.com
Sat Jun 17 18:39:51 EDT 2017

See interspersed, thanks...

> From: Boris Borisov <bugyatl at gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2017 18:13:59 -0400
> To: kwc at theworld.com, Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts <ale at ale.org>
> Subject: Re: [ale] Basic/playing-around distro
>
> Any heavy lifting modern browser would kill that computer. You

Ya, was afraid of that, sounds like I need to make me
a lil'trip to the likes of Microcenter & find some kind of
refurb itty-bitty box for this...

> have to restrict yourself to very light window manager. And
> some alternative browsers. There is browsers out there that
> use modern rendering kits but don't have all the capabilities
> of Mozilla Chrome IE or whatever. Midori is good example of
> light but in same time browser with modern rendering engine.

[... Debian base/IceWM/Mozilla ...]
[... gaming leftovers ...]

Ok, I'll be a bit more specific:
I/we need some kinda thing for my parents & their office staff
(only a few people) to access the likes of personal email
completely separately from the internal company/office private
network, which blocks Just About Everything.  (& it's Windows
anyway, ewww...)

Looks like that old XP box might just need to be Put Out Of Its
Misery I guess.  So, I need to find "something."  Thanks, Ken