[ale] Basic/playing-around distro

Ken Cochran kwc at shell.TheWorld.com
Sat Jun 17 17:53:01 EDT 2017

Hi again ALErs, nice thread on NAS recommendations, sounds
like it would be an awesome meeting topic too.

Another looking-around question/need:

Need some kind of distro appropriate for what I'll call a
"semi-kiosk" computer; best I can tell, all it needs to run
are the following:

- Browser (probably Firefox unless someone can recommend
  better), especially for web-email a la gmail
- shell (duh)
- probably camera/photo ingest

Current plan is to repurpose an old HP desktop machine that
currently runs WinXP.  It is a P4 (32-bit), with 1gb RAM & I'll
probably replace its hdd so as to not lose what's on it now.
(Right now it's pretty much a dedicated Quickbooks & word
processing box & NEVER connects to ANY network.)

Looking for a distro that I don't have to mess-around with
much, e.g. some kind of analogue to Software Update on M$
& Apple products.  Ideas?  Naturally, FAQ/doc pointers are
welcome, as well as FMs to RT :)

Thanks, Ken

Kenneth Cochran         | () ASCII Ribbon Campaign
Alexander City, Alabama | /\ Support plain text e-mail