[ale] NAS recommendations

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Sat Jun 17 04:29:43 EDT 2017

Just a few links for your NAS/DAS build consideration:
*
https://www.amazon.com/Logisys-Black-Industrial-Rackmount-CS4801BK/dp/B007C1KQHM
- 15 disks E-ATX.
* https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007C1KQHM/ - 12 disks - ATX
* https://jaimenow.blogspot.com/p/norco-itx.html - 8 disks using ...
*
https://www.amazon.com/Norco-Mini-ITX-Computer-Storage-support/dp/B012UO63TK
*
https://www.amazon.com/Silverstone-Technology-CS380B-Storage-Cases/dp/B01MA6NJE8/
- 8 disks, but has airflow issues
These all require more "stuff" to make a useful solution.

The first link has lots of alternative links for smaller options. For
$49, get a power backplane instead of using a cheap motherboard if you
want a DAS.

For 10 yrs, I've been using an Addonics external array. Still working
perfectly after multiple disk swaps.

If you want really cheap USB3/eSATA, there's a $99 MediaSonic
https://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-ProBox-HF2-SU3S2-SATA-Enclosure/dp/B003X26VV4/
Fine for a desktop external JBOD, but not good for servers due to odd
power modes.