[ale] NAS recommendations

Edward O. Holcroft eholcroft at mkainc.com
Thu Jun 15 11:09:00 EDT 2017

I use FreeNAS at home and it's been running smoothly for, I dunno, a couple
of years now. All upgrades have been uneventful.

I built it on a desktop box. It boots from USB and uses FreeNAS software
RAID5 using four consumer grade SATA drives.

I store all my photos, music and video on it. I use the built in version of
Plex (not that great in the sense that it's not really fully open) for
video/audio streaming and image viewing. But for image browsing I mostly
just access via a Samba share on FreeNAS.

I have a bunch of Synology devices at work. They're pretty decent and seem
fairly quick with security patches. but they have one fundamentally
irritating shortfall for my work needs: lack of full disk encryption. I
tried building my own Synology box at home but gave up. FreeNAS was just
easier to get going. Synology is kinda "proprietaryt-ish" in that sense.
It's really aimed at their hardware, so is tough to get working on a
standard piece of consumer equipment.

hth

ed

*Edward O. Holcroft*
IT Operations Manager

*Madsen, Kneppers & Associates, Inc.*
Construction Consultants & Engineers
11695 Johns Creek Parkway, Suite 250
Johns Creek, GA 30097

*O*  770.446.9606  |  *F*  770.446.9612  |  *C*  770.630.0949  |
eholcroft at mkainc.com

www.mkainc.com

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 9:29 AM, Ken Cochran <kwc at shell.theworld.com> wrote:

> Any ALEr Words of Wisdom wrt desktop NAS?
> Looking for something appropriate for, but not limited to, photography.
> Some years ago Drobo demoed at (I think) AUUG.  (Might've been ALE.)
> Was kinda nifty for the time but I'm sure things have improved since.
> Synology?  QNAP?
> Build something myself?  JBOD?
> Looks like they all running Linux inside these days.
> Rackmount ones look lots more expensive.
> Ideas?  What to look for?  Stay away from?  Thanks, Ken
>
> Kenneth Cochran         | () ASCII Ribbon Campaign
> Alexander City, Alabama | /\ Support plain text e-mail

MADSEN, KNEPPERS & ASSOCIATES USA, MKA Canada Inc. WARNING/CONFIDENTIALITY
NOTICE: This message may be confidential and/or privileged. If you are not
the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately then delete it
- you should not copy or use it for any purpose or disclose its content to
any other person. Internet communications are not secure. You should scan
this message and any attachments for viruses. Any unauthorized use or
interception of this e-mail is illegal.