[ale] NAS recommendations

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Thu Jun 15 11:06:58 EDT 2017

I've been pretty sold on synology for a while now.
I've been recommending it to my customers. The price/performance point is excellent and the network services it supports ismore than adequate.
I especially like the ability to use two of the slots as ssd cache on the ds18xx series.
I have one customer running a vm cluster with with a redundant pair of DS1815+ boxes for 40 users without a hitch.
I'm even planning on replacing my current storage with one in the next few weeks.
-jt

James Taylor
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com

>>> Ken Cochran <kwc at shell.theworld.com> 6/15/2017 9:29 AM >>>
Any ALEr Words of Wisdom wrt desktop NAS?
Looking for something appropriate for, but not limited to, photography.
Some years ago Drobo demoed at (I think) AUUG.  (Might've been ALE.)
Was kinda nifty for the time but I'm sure things have improved since.
Synology?  QNAP?
Build something myself?  JBOD?
Looks like they all running Linux inside these days.
Rackmount ones look lots more expensive.
Ideas?  What to look for?  Stay away from?  Thanks, Ken

Kenneth Cochran         | () ASCII Ribbon Campaign
Alexander City, Alabama | /\ Support plain text e-mail