[ale] Freelance web-devs make in-secure sites

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Thu Jun 8 09:45:54 EDT 2017

On Thu, Jun 08, 2017 at 09:06:48AM -0400, leam hall wrote:
> How are those penalties and stuff working for you? Well Fargo is still in
> business, as are the credit card companies that lose data. As is the
> Federal OPM, that lost data.

That's just it -- those penalties were little more than a light slap on
the wrist, a rounding error compared to the profits they made by
misbehaving.  What I'm talking about being necessary is far more
onerous -- Massive penalties and Federal PTITA-jailtime for executives.
That's the only way they'll _ever_ care.

> If penalties worked crime would be eliminated. The news feeds tell me
> governmental mandates don't really work. Us as individuals persuading
> checkbook holders might work. Hasn't so far though, so I'm not holding my
> breath.

Us individuals don't matter one iota beyond the $20 we spend on whatever
that IoT widget -- and by then they have our money, or they make money
selling our data so we don't inviduaally matter anyway.  Also, by
opening the box or installing the necessary app to set things up we've
automatically agreed to arbitration instead of class action suits, so
what are we going to do exactly?  Complain on greybeard mailing lists?

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Delray Beach, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^