[ale] Freelance web-devs make in-secure sites

leam hall leamhall at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 09:06:48 EDT 2017

On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 8:56 AM, Solomon Peachy <pizza at shaftnet.org> wrote:

> It's not an engineering problem; the road to producing quality software
> isn't particularly difficult or misunderstood -- Instead, it's purely a
> matter of management not willing to invest the money (and/or time) to do
> things right, because they have no reason to care once money changes
> hands.
>
> This won't change until the government steps in with a mandata backed by
> very large penalties.. with a couple of high-profile heads impaled on
> pikes to drive home their willingness to enforce.

How are those penalties and stuff working for you? Well Fargo is still in
business, as are the credit card companies that lose data. As is the
Federal OPM, that lost data.

If penalties worked crime would be eliminated. The news feeds tell me
governmental mandates don't really work. Us as individuals persuading
checkbook holders might work. Hasn't so far though, so I'm not holding my
breath.

Leam