[ale] Reliable seller of refurbished MacBooks?

Jerald Sheets questy at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 15:43:59 EDT 2017

> On Jun 5, 2017, at 3:23 PM, Scott Plante <splante at insightsys.com> wrote:
>
> You're correct that Onyx offers an "immediate" option for $100, but in reality this just means that they "look at it" immediately. If they have to send off for parts they do still require holding onto the computer. This is fine if the computer is non-functional but in the case of something like a cracked screen it's very annoying. I didn't want to pay an extra $100 for immediate service and then still wait for parts when I'd be happy to be using the computer for a week or more until the parts were available and then brought it over for them to repair.

And that’s what I did.  I got them to look at it immediately, get the part on order, and send me home with my laptop until the part came in.  I came back after using it for a few days and they repaired it on-spot.

> When I asked about it they initially just said it was their policy and when I pressed they said it was Apple rules. I don't know if the Apple rules part was just them trying to get me to go away or not.

Yeah… they don’t really shoot straight any more.  What ever happened to Frank?  I always knew I could trust him, but I don’t know any of those guys any more, and I can one hundred percent assert that isn’t Apple’s rules.  Sounds like a really cool boogeyman to blame when it looks like a customer is becoming unhappy, though.  I’ve seen it entirely too many times.

> I haven't had a laptop of any kind for at least a decade before the Mac so maybe all the Windows and Linux laptop options are just as bad or worse for repairs--or at least the super-thin laptops.

Yeah, if you can even get repairs.  Try getting a cracked chassis replaced… MacBooks are milled aluminum.  I’ve seen screens cost more than the whole laptop.  I’ve seen motherboards go without warning, and then not able to get it repaired even under warranty because the product has progressed so fast there are no replacements for that model any more, so they try to get you to pay for an upgrade.  Conversely, I’ve had Apple replace a Mac for the newer model.

Let’s face it… customer service pretty much across the industry sucks, and everyone will have had different experiences.  In my case, most of mine have been good, and I recognize that many folks have bad experiences…

-j