[ale] Reliable seller of refurbished MacBooks?

Jerald Sheets questy at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 13:45:47 EDT 2017

> On Jun 5, 2017, at 12:41 PM, Michael Potter <michael at potter.name> wrote:
>
> The apple store could not replace my trackpad without sending it in for three days.

…which is why there are local service providers...

> As I had previously received same day service from them (At Lenox) I was very persistent in asking for additional options (I am not shy).

…some repair items have been removed from the purview of stores.  Shipping “all the things” to all stores for on-hand repair stock costs money.  Training a genius to the required level does as well.  Instead, depot is a common send-off for screens & logic boards.

> So perhaps they offer while you wait service, but if there is no way for me to actually receive that service, then that service does not exist.

Onyx Consulting is specifically who I was referring to, and they absolutely *do* offer immediate repair for a premium, and it is found on their fee schedule here:

http://onyxconsulting.com/personal/rates.pdf <http://onyxconsulting.com/personal/rates.pdf>

> So far I am just living turning on tap to click and will eventually send it in if there is another problem.

That’s where we differ.  I turn it off the second I open a new machine.  That annoying KA-THUNK every time I push a track pad bothers the crap out of me.

> I am not "Manufacturing" Apple's problems.  They are doing a fine job of that themselves.

No, they are beholden to company-wide moires that are set in Cupertino with an eye toward global needs and costs rather than our little corner of the world, regardless of how large it is.

> 1. No central ticketing system for resolving developer type issues with itunesconnect, developer, or itunes.  This allow Apple support to just point the finger at each other and wash their hands of any problem.

There absolutely *is* a central ticketing system, and if you put in a ticket with AppleCare, the store can pull it up by number as can a local service provider.

> 2. Dropping professional level HW.  (17" Macbook Pro and the fully sized Mac)

I don’t want to have to go to the gym to pick up my laptop.  15” is the standard, and 17” is phased out as of 2012.

the same number of options != less quality.

> 3. iPhones with camera bumps.

Ok, I’m with you here.  Why in the hell in 2017 do we have a camera bump on the chassis?  Should be flush.

> 4. Forgoing repairability to get a mm less thickness.  The utility of getting thiner is getting to be very small.  However the utility of being repairable still has value.  They are making the wrong tradeoffs, especially on the professional HW.

It is no secret that Apple does not want you to repair your own phone (opening the case voids the warranty) and this has never changed.  Being mad about a more than decade old corporate practice is a waste of effort.

—j