[ale] Spam: Snow(OT) [heat without electricity]

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 11:43:29 EST 2017

On Thu, 2017-02-02 at 11:19 -0500, William Bagwell wrote:
> On Thursday 02 February 2017, Phil Turmel wrote:
> > On 02/02/2017 09:50 AM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> > > We used a small wood burning stove venting through the fireplace.
> > > Only
> > > wood we had was sweetgum. Lousy fuel! I stayed warm trying to
> > > split it
> > > :-)
> >
> > Good lord!
>
> Need a hydraulic splitter for sweetgum! Even hickory is easier to
> split with
> a maul than sweetgum.

Sweetgum doesn't split. It tears very unevenly. Then it's really hard
to get light and burns up in seconds once it does light and produces
negligible heat. The &*^# balls will break your ankle when you
roll/fall over them and the lawnmower will aim all of them at your
ankles. Cutting them all down, however, kills off the luna moth
population as sweetgum is what they lived in and fed on in my yard.
They were very beautiful. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actias_luna
> > > That's why I installed a nat gas generator with auto cutover
> > > switch.
> > > Party's at my house when the power's out!
> >
> > {{ Sheer jealousy }}
>
> Still have my 5 KW gas generator which was brand new for the 93
> blizzard. Was
> still living in our old place and building this one is why I needed
>> generator. Was ready that day, had it all gassed up and a huge
> extension
> cord ready to go and never needed it. 90% of Cherokee county was out
> of
> power that night. Sometimes being prepared pays off:)

That particular outage had us in the dark for 3 days. We basically
camped indoors. The 15KW generator can easily power the entire house
(and server space) but not the AC, dryer or oven. They are not on the
circuit load for the generator. Added gas logs into the fireplace.
Moving the old wood stove to the deck. Can use the propane forge in the
back shed to stay warm there :-) Not to mention the body heat from
hammering hot steel.
> William
James P. Kinney III

own tail. It won't fatten the dog.