[ale] KDE, Gnome, XFCE OT?

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Mon Mar 28 11:09:00 EDT 2016

On 03/28/2016 09:54 AM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> My tuning time costs more than an extra pair of 16GB DIMMS.

Fine.
Deploy with way too much.
Monitor for 2+ months.
See that 512MB is needed and 1 CPU.
Spend 10 seconds to reduce the memory allocation and CPU to the VM. Next
reboot, solved.  System monitoring isn't a waste of time.
Right-sizing isn't a waste of time.

Being able to have 5 more VMs per physical server **is** a cost savings,
after all.  We aren't aiming for 100% utilization, 80% on CPU is fine.
Having a little free RAM for VM spikes is useful too.

BTW, KVM does core memory sharing too, these days.  No need to spend
$12K for VM licenses, plus $1K for any addon - you know - like backup
software.  VMware is impressive and at that price, it should be.

I need to go away now. Have an idea.