[ale] [OT] Cell phone reception

Pete Hardie pete.hardie at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 17:37:42 EDT 2016

We had an issue in our neighborhood a few years back, when the closest cell
towers were under repair. and AT&T fronted us a femto-cell device that used
our internet bandwidth as the network side, and provided cell coverage in
the house.

I don't know if they would do that unless it was their fault reception was
bad, however, but the devices might be available somewhere

On Mon, Jul 4, 2016 at 5:08 PM, Jeff Hubbs <jhubbslist at att.net> wrote:

> Very much OT. I'm spending an unusual amount of time at my mother's house
> near Macon, GA these days and although I've reported it to AT&T twice,
> nothing has been done about the terrible cell phone reception. I have to go
> outside and cycle into and out of airplane mode to get 4G or LTE; inside
> the house I have to be within a foot or so of a north- or east-facing
> window. This is a serious problem because I often need to make and take
> calls, text, or do some basic Internet stuff.
>
> Is there anything practical I can do for reasonable amounts of money to
> improve reception in the house? I've even thought about even maybe sticking
> a Yagi outside and cabling it straight to a fractal radiator or another
> Yagi inside.
>
> I ask here because I figure there are folks who know what solutions aren't
> in the "As Seen On TV," "Solar FREAKIN' Roadways," "infrared jewelry," or
> "copper-infused socks" class.

Pete Hardie
--------
Better Living Through Bitmaps