[ale] [OT] Cell phone reception

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Mon Jul 4 19:25:47 EDT 2016

You can purchase mobile repeaters that are approved for use.  Quick
Google searching should come up with various providers (like this one):

http://unidencellular.com/booster_kits/

They're usually in the several hundred dollar range but if you get one
that you make portable you can take it with you elsewhere.

I planned on getting one for the car to use on long trips through the
open areas of the west where cell coverage is spotty or weak.

They have to be registered with the carrier but some time ago the FCC
pushed them into offering blanket acceptance of installing these kinds
of devices because they were not building out the base station network.

Stick with amplified versions, they do have on-board electronics that,
aside from amplifying the signal in and out, will monitor the network
and adjust itself accordingly to mitigate interference issues.