[ale] Privacy!

Jim Kinney jkinney at jimkinney.us
Wed Aug 24 17:53:45 EDT 2016

Insurance companies don't want to pay out any money for a legitimate
claim unless they absolutely have to. They sure as hell don't want to
pay out for a claim from a fake person using your data.

So, yeah. You have you have to present far more than a pulse and an
insurance card these days.

I know a dentist who won't take insurance. You pay him cash and hassle
the insurance company on your own. His rates are rather less expensive
than what the other dentist I've used charges. But the insurance
dentist has 2-3 extra people on board drawing a paycheck just to
process insurance stuff. The cash dentist is just him and an assistant.

On Wed, 2016-08-24 at 21:15 +0000, Chuck Balog wrote:
> > > The flip side of this is that they take your ID to be sure that it's
you. Identity theft can take many forms. Here's an old KHN article
that's relevant: http://khn.org/news/medical-id/

I can tell you that only a few pieces of the information that they
ask for is for claims. Many insurance companies require an SSN for a
claim to be electronically processed along with the plan details,
etc. The other info they ask for like your phone numbers, where you
work, etc. is meant for collections. I will tell you that I've never
known a medical office to run a credit check on a patient. I have
seen them refuse to process a claim and slide the paper form over to
anyone refusing to provide SSN and demand payment in full.

service (most are these days) has to have at least an annual audit
(but commonly quarterly) to comply with the HIPAA Security Rule.
Details here:http://www.nist.gov/healthcare/security/hipaasecurity.cf
m I'm not saying that makes it safe, (because I've had some WTF
moments in audits) but someone is watching and following up.

> Hope the info is valuable.

credit card, see a doctor, or shop with a credit card, pretty much
all of your information is for sale world-wide. The illusion of
security is voided by the reality of security costs and the public
still shopping at Target.

you handle the increasing requirements of medical offices to scan
and store your drivers license to receive care.
pediatrician for refusing to allow them to scan and store our
driver’s license.  It was a good pediatrician, too!