[ale] Privacy!

Chuck Balog chuckbalog at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 17:15:53 EDT 2016

The flip side of this is that they take your ID to be sure that it's you.
Identity theft can take many forms. Here's an old KHN article that's
relevant: http://khn.org/news/medical-id/

However, having worked for HHS, a hospital, and an insurance company, I can
tell you that only a few pieces of the information that they ask for is for
claims. Many insurance companies require an SSN for a claim to be
electronically processed along with the plan details, etc. The other info
they ask for like your phone numbers, where you work, etc. is meant for
collections. I will tell you that I've never known a medical office to run
a credit check on a patient. I have seen them refuse to process a claim and
slide the paper form over to anyone refusing to provide SSN and demand
payment in full.

I can tell you that just about every EMR system that's consumed as a
service (most are these days) has to have at least an annual audit (but
commonly quarterly) to comply with the HIPAA Security Rule. Details here:
http://www.nist.gov/healthcare/security/hipaasecurity.cfm I'm not saying
that makes it safe, (because I've had some WTF moments in audits) but
someone is watching and following up.

Hope the info is valuable.