[ale] USB Wireless

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Fri Aug 19 11:01:39 EDT 2016

Can you even radiate 2W in Part 95 wifi spectrum? Regardless, I'm not sure I buy that it can off the USB port.
If you try you need to use a powered hub. I'm skeptical if that device really can do 2W. I'll bet they are getting that by gain and not output of the final?

I told you that I have 3 on mine. The 4th USB port runs a 2 meter GMSK radio modem. Now that I think about it, all of that is demanding for power.

This Pi started out as a Nintendo 3DS Street Pass relay. Known as MyPass, but literally "my pass" because I wrote my own software. I did not use
the MyPass scripts. I needed the device to have an AP as 'attwifi' and it needed to connect to the internet via its client wifi.

I added a 3rd to create a Nintendo Zone. N abandoned those so mimicking that was not fruitful. I made it an alternate AP or monitor, etc.

I then decided to add the modem to connect my digital radio to the Internet. One Pi3 now serves two purposes.

Here is a USB dongle I've bought and works

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322181847046?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I have the same chip in the ones with no external antenna. I have one of those on my router to sniff. I bought these because I wanted an external antenna.