[ale] Xfinity Modem -- lease or buy recoomendations

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Tue Sep 29 09:33:55 EDT 2015

Over subscription is a way of life for all networks.  Highways, POTS,
internet. All the same. If everyone gets on the highway at the same
time, it is bad.

90% of internet users use less than 50GB/month.  Fewer than 3% use more
than 200GB/month - should all the other customers subsidize huge
downloaders?

On highways, trucks have to pay more for their higher uses. Seems fair.

With higher bandwidth, people will use more bits. Human nature. I can't
drive 55 either, but I don't expect all roadways to be updated to
support 125 either with the same traffic.

The IoT stuff scares me - nest is really scary, just like carrying a
cell phone everywhere outside a Faraday bag is scary.