[ale] Xfinity Modem -- lease or buy recoomendations

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 10:04:11 EDT 2015

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 9:33 AM, DJ-Pfulio <DJPfulio at jdpfu.com> wrote:

> Over subscription is a way of life for all networks.  Highways, POTS,
> internet. All the same. If everyone gets on the highway at the same
> time, it is bad.

What's your point? Data caps do nothing to curb usage at specific times of
day.

> 90% of internet users use less than 50GB/month.  Fewer than 3% use more
> than 200GB/month - should all the other customers subsidize huge
> downloaders?

I honestly can't figure out your argument here. A customer pays for access
to the Internet. How much they use it is their prerogative. It's the ISP's
responsibility to ensure they have the capacity to provide what they sold.

> On highways, trucks have to pay more for their higher uses. Seems fair.

Irrelevant.

> With higher bandwidth, people will use more bits. Human nature. I can't
> drive 55 either, but I don't expect all roadways to be updated to
> support 125 either with the same traffic.

Again, your point eludes me.

> The IoT stuff scares me - nest is really scary, just like carrying a
> cell phone everywhere outside a Faraday bag is scary.

I didn't make any claims about such things. I merely gave an example of a
literal legitimate use case that is being crippled for absolutely no
technical reason what-so-ever.

--
James Sumners
http://james.sumners.info/ (technical profile)