[ale] Xfinity Modem -- lease or buy recoomendations

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 23:24:41 EDT 2015

As long as you enjoy being throttled after hitting the limit, sure.

But let's pretend you decide to get a Nest Cam (for the sake of argument).
Nest's documentation estimates that it will require 380GB of bandwidth per
month if you record at full 1080p[1]. That's just _one_ completely
legitimate use case that is basically forbidden by Comcast simply because
they want to be able to charge an arbitrary amount instead of being a real
ISP[2].

Still, you're right. Their business line is way overpriced. And until
Google blankets the metropolitan area, we are stuck with those two options
(AT&T's "offering" is not even worth consideration).

[1] -- https://nest.com/support/article/How-much-bandwidth-will-Nest-Cam-use
[2] --
http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/08/comcast-vp-300gb-data-cap-is-business-policy-not-technical-necessity/

On Monday, September 28, 2015, DJ-Pfulio <DJPfulio at jdpfu.com> wrote:

> On 09/28/2015 05:35 PM, DJ-Pfulio wrote:
> > On 09/28/2015 03:40 PM, James Sumners wrote:

> get
> >>>

> >> Until you hit 300GB in a month.
> >>

> > Thought they dropped data caps- FCC mandate.
> >
> > Can't imagine I'm anywhere near that much. I can see 150G, but not much
> > more. I should login to my business account to see. Facts are better
> > than "feelings."
>

> <quote>The cable operator said on Thursday that it will no longer cut
> off users who exceed 250GB of data usage per month. Instead, the company
> is testing a new policy in which it will increase the usage cap to 300GB
> of data per month. And for those who do go over the cap, the company
> will charge an additional $10 per 50GB of usage. David Cohen, executive
> vice president for Comcast, said the company has no intention to raise
> prices on its existing tiers of service. </quote>
>
> So - even if I'm hit by $20/month overage - it will be cheaper AND
> faster even AFTER the 12 month rate is gone.

James Sumners
http://james.sumners.info/ (technical profile)
http://jrfom.com/ (personal site)
http://haplo.bandcamp.com/ (band page)