[ale] Origins of Linux, do we care?

leam hall leamhall at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 12:51:54 EDT 2015

On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 11:38 AM, Solomon Peachy <pizza at shaftnet.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 11:16:40AM -0400, leam hall wrote:
> > Do we care?
> >
> > https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~awb/linux.history.html
>
> It's not much of a history if it was written on July 31, 1992.

It provides insight into original motivations.

> systemd bothers me at a visceral level. It really does seem like an MS
> > minded beast controlling a Linux shell; a monster from horror films. It
> > looks like Linux and we are supposed to just like it? If we like systemd,
> > why care about Linux at all? Why not just do Windows and totally succumb?
>
> Are you seriously saying that the epitome of a proprietary, closed,
> vendor-specific system is somehow comparable to a solution that is not
> only (vastly) technically superior, highly customizable, and provided
> under a Free Software license?
>
> ...So what exactly are you basing your feelings on here?  Be specific.

 Yes. We have a system that's vastly technically superior, highly
customizable, and provided under  Free Software license. It was also not so
intrusive, and that is what really bugs me.

There is the philosophy of "small tools" as a point of elegance. There is
also the pragmatic requirement of not having to learn a new OS amount of
stuff to stay on the same OS. There is also the point of lightweight which
keeps systems zippy. There is also the basic idea of giving you options.

Really, I hear nothing about systemd that makes me think it's a good idea.
When it's so intrusive it definitely becomes a bad idea. Really, from
usability and morality it is no better than MS.

Leam

--
Mind on a Mission <http://leamhall.blogspot.com/>