[ale] Is there a system to encourage using styles?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Mon Oct 5 09:52:34 EDT 2015

On Mon, 5 Oct 2015 08:01:49 -0400
Jason van Gumster <fweeb at monsterjavaguns.com> wrote:

> Tom Freeman <tfreeman at intel.digichem.net> wrote:
>
> > A subquestion would be can LibreOffice/OpenOffice be reskinned to
> > provide much the same effect?
>
> I use styles pretty heavily when I write in LibreOffice and I tend to
> write with the whole Styles panel visible (enabled by pressing F11)
> while I write. I also cull the (rather over-extensive) list of styles
> in that list to just the ones I frequently use. Not only does doing
> this offer quick access to various styles, but it serves as a
> constant reminder that styles exist and that I should use them.
>
> You could save such a layout as a start-up preference and, with a
> little gentle prodding/instruction, you could coerce a person into
> writing with a more style-based structure.
>
>   -Jason

The preceding can work well if you have influence over the person. When
I began writing chapters for Linux Unleashed, Sams sent me an MSWord
stylesheet plus a two page style guide telling me which style to use
for what writing purposes, and it told me *I'd better not* apply
appearances straight. It worked beautifully with me. It worked
beautifully with all the authors.

SteveT