[ale] Systemd and cygwin

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue Nov 17 13:58:52 EST 2015

On Tue, 17 Nov 2015 12:32:17 -0500
Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2015-11-17 at 09:20 -0800, Alex Carver wrote:
[snip]

> > "    The recent push to convert linux to use systemd -- is all about
> > reducing the functionality of linux to require the same thing -- so
> > 1 system monitor (systemd) can keep track of how many users are
> > using "licensed seats" --- so vendors can force you to pay 10-100
> > times for the same program.

[snip]

> ????? Someone on cygwin had a paranoid thought and tried to make a
> political statement. Since we have the source code for all of this
> stuff, please find the lines that will make us have to pay license
> fees to run multiple cores, containers, VM's, etc.
> I call total BS on this.

As a person who would never run systemd on any system other than a
temporary travel laptop or a one-app container or VM, I too am very
skeptical of the claim that systemd will be used to monitor seats, and
would need to see proof.

Speaking of one-app VMs, I've been very happily running Void Linux for
over a month now, with its Runit init system. Everything works better
than Debian and Ubuntu except for LyX and LaTeX, so I have a special
Ubuntu 14.04 Qemu VM just to process my books. When I get around to it,
I'm going to save system resources by substituting a Ubuntu 14.04
Docker container.

SteveT

Steve Litt
November 2015 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist