[ale] Buwahahah! This is great

Robert Slaughter robert.s.slaughter at gmail.com
Fri May 29 20:03:05 EDT 2015

SCOTUS has not yet made a decision; this is an amicus brief by the DOJ in
support of one side.

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 7:53 PM, Michael Trausch <mike at trausch.us> wrote:

> Please explain to me how to fight a decision made by SC(r)OTU(m)S when
> there is no appeal process and there is no way to make them grant a hearing
> on any topic anyway? Am I missing something? Please tell me I am missing
> something. Because this really looks to me like the end of the road unless
> the executive rewrites the statutes and that scares me even more.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On May 29, 2015, at 1:58 PM, Pete Hardie <pete.hardie at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I doubt this will stand..  I'm fairly sure IBM has a big enough stake in
> UNIX/Linux business to be willing to fight it, and the Big G can take this
> further.
>
> On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 1:46 PM, Michael Trausch <mike at trausch.us> wrote:
>
>> Yes I remember the first judge.
>>
>> But he doesn't matter. It's the nine morons who make the law of the land
>> who matter. And how they cannot hold themselves to at least the same
>> standard as a lesser judge, despite the fact that they have literally no
>> reason to make a false or undue ruling.... Well, I just don't know how they
>> could've screwed that poor pooch so awful.
>>
>> As I understand it, this is now the law of the land. That puts everything
>> we've ever done at great risk here. We use Linux. It is an implementation
>> of the UNIX API, and several vendors own rights that they can now use to
>> stop its use.
>>
>> Java? Well we KNOW Oracle will sue you.
>>
>> Hrm... Is SQL an API? Better stop using them in the United States just to
>> be safe.
>>
>> I mean really. Now we need to write our own kernel and an intentionally
>> incompatible C library to prevent being sued (and losing the lawsuit!)
>>
>> I honestly don't know how to work in this environment. The more I think
>> about it the more it seems to me I'd better avoid the problem entirely by
>> ducking under the wing of an employer and throwing the idea of the business
>> away.
>>
>> Or move to Canada which welcomes programmers and still provides among the
>> best of environments for them.
>>
>> Think one of the wives would like that idea. The other one not so much.
>> The kids? Who knows.
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On May 29, 2015, at 9:32 AM, Charles Shapiro <hooterpincher at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Yeh, it's tres crazy.  The first judge (the esteemed William Alsup)
>> actually learned to program in Java (
>> http://radar.oreilly.com/2012/05/judge-alsup-codes.html ) so he could
>> understand the issues, then wound up ruling that APIs were NOT
>> copyrightable.  Alas, the court on appeal was not so thorough.
>>
>> -- CHS
>>

>> On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 1:32 AM, Michael Trausch <mike at trausch.us> wrote:
>>
>>> For fucks sake. I haven't even the words.
>>>
>>> If I could get sued for wiring code that does nothing more than links to
>>> another library, I don't see any reasonable not rational choice but to find
> [...]

Bob Slaughter
http://www.facebook.com/robert.s.slaughter
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled
by evil men." -- Plato
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do
nothing." -- Edmund Burke
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but
because of those who look on and do nothing." -- Albert Einstein