[ale] OT - Replacement Gate Remote

Scott Plante splante at insightsys.com
Wed May 27 13:46:52 EDT 2015

Delicious story! How'd you get caught?
Scott

----- Original Message -----

From: "Jim Lynch" <ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com>
To: "Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts" <ale at ale.org>
Sent: Friday, May 22, 2015 4:36:33 PM
Subject: Re: [ale] OT - Replacement Gate Remote

Somewhat more off topic. When I was a teenager in the circa 1960 time
frame, I had a pair of 10 meter (ham band) portable transceivers (HT)
by Heathkit. When a friend/fellow amateur and I were testing the range,
we discovered that we could open and close a garage door on a neighbor's
house by whistling into the mike. That was great fun until we got
caught. Obviously those early openers were operating on the 27 Mhz
citizen band and tone activated. The receivers were so wide that our
29.6 Mhz transmitters at maybe a watt would trigger them.

Jim.
On 05/21/2015 10:45 AM, Lightner, Jeff wrote:
> the real reason Chamberlain made multi code remotes was because low flying planes were accidentally opening garage doors -

See JOBS, ANNOUNCE and SCHOOLS lists at
http://mail.ale.org/mailman/listinfo