[ale] OT - Replacement Gate Remote

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Thu May 21 10:22:44 EDT 2015

The "stand by and clone someone" feature is mainly why they are no
longer available.  It wasn't even really the DMCA issues, it was
liability.  If the opener was easy to clone from any reasonable distance
then people could have their homes or businesses broken into by others.
 Early remotes were single-code devices but those proved very easy to
hack (one chip and not many codes to try).  The later ones have a base
code and a "randomized" code (it's actually a revolving fixed series).
Still can be hacked but it's a little less trivial because the revolving
series must be determined which takes several samples of data.

I've been working on my own using key crypto just as described (but not
the bluetooth part). :)    Going to try it with a door lock first.