[ale] Kiosk slideshow with reload

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Wed May 20 05:43:17 EDT 2015

On 05/19/2015 10:28 PM, Alex Carver wrote:
> Yeah, I know I can use a Pi, the NUC was the "only if I have to install
> something heavy like Gnome" option.  Otherwise it's going to be whatever
> Raspbian's desktop is or Fluxbox/Xfce.  I'll check out geeqie.  The main
> thing is to be able to drop a file in a directory from a remote machine
> and have it be incorporated into the slideshow automatically.

Sounds like a trivial perl script to me.

#!/usr/bin/env perl

# Yes, I know this is bad/unsafe for odd filenames.
my @files=`ls -1 ~/Pictures/Best/*g`;

# pick a randome file
my $bg = $files[rand @files];

`env DISPLAY=:0 /usr/bin/feh --bg-scale $bg` ;

There is probably a bash way too.  I run this from crontab every 30 min to
change the desktop background. You could easily wrap the important parts in a
while/sleep loop.

> Looks like the rotate option covers X11 but what about the kernel itself?

What does the kernel care about rotation? I'm confused and don't understand.

--
Got Linux? Used on smartphones, tablets, desktop computers, media centers, and
servers by kids, Moms, Dads, grandparents and IT professionals.