[ale] Kiosk slideshow with reload

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Tue May 19 22:28:08 EDT 2015

On 2015-05-19 18:47, DJ-Pfulio wrote:

>> I've tried feh and qiv which both manage to display in a loop but they
>> fail to pick up on a new file if it shows up in the directory.  A couple
>> places mentioned gthumb but that seems to involve bringing the full
>> weight of GNOME which might just overload something (I could go up to a
>> NUC-sized machine but I don't want to pay for massive horsepower if I
>> don't need it).
>
> For a slideshow you can use a $25 r-pi.
> I've created this with photos using javascript and a webpage. Probably not what
> you want and the page has to be hand-made. I tried about 5 different solutions
> first.
>
> geeqie can to slideshows and repeat.
>
>> At the same time, anyone know how to specify to linux and X11 that a
>> large HDMI screen is bolted to the wall sideways (rotated 90 degrees)?
>
> http://www.x.org/archive/X11R6.8.0/doc/rendition5.html

Yeah, I know I can use a Pi, the NUC was the "only if I have to install
something heavy like Gnome" option.  Otherwise it's going to be whatever
Raspbian's desktop is or Fluxbox/Xfce.  I'll check out geeqie.  The main
thing is to be able to drop a file in a directory from a remote machine
and have it be incorporated into the slideshow automatically.

Looks like the rotate option covers X11 but what about the kernel itself?