[ale] OT - Replacement Gate Remote

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at dsservices.com
Tue May 19 14:06:29 EDT 2015

Last night I looked all over the internet but kept coming up with what I do NOT want:
What I do NOT want is a garage/gate remote that requires me to know the brand of opener in use.   I found many hits for those talking about dip switches to set on the remote or pressing a button on the opener itself that the remote learns from.

What I DO want is something similar to what many cars have including one I used to own which is something I can simply point an existing remote at (while pressing buttons of course) and have it learn the code from the existing remote.   Ideally this would be a key fob style device but I'd settle for one that clips to a car's visor.

I even found a video on Youtube describing how to use a key fob exactly like what I wanted but unfortunately that person didn't bother to say what brand or device he was using.

There is so much advertising and discussion about the kind I don't want that I simply couldn't find what I do want so I was hoping someone here might have already found one and share details with me.   Note that Garage doors and Gates usually use the same kind of technology.

I understand that SOME gates/garage door openers have variable codes but I doubt the one I'm doing does so no need to discuss that.

I do NOT know the model of gate opener nor would it be easy for me to find out.  It's the gate for my HOA and they make money selling replacements which my neighbor wants to avoid.   Given what I used to have in my car this seems simple but my searches last night were fruitless.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail may contain privileged or confidential information and is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this information is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please reply immediately to the sender that you have received the message in error, and delete it. Thank you