[ale] CentOS repositories question

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Tue May 12 11:49:51 EDT 2015

On 05/12/2015 11:17 AM, Jim Kinney wrote:

>> We had automated builds 25 yrs ago, if that is what you are saying.
>
> Koji does builds and packaging for all selected platforms. It uses a chroot tool
> called mock to provide only the barest minimum of each base os kernel, libs, etc
> for each base release and update version. It outputs completed rpms , src.rpm
> and binaries, or fail logs sorted into web folders by package, release, base os,
> version, etc.

Sounds nice - our makefile did packaging for all Unix systems.  Windows was a
different issue - installshield required point-n-click - which still sucks.
Plus we had to manually change the build# inside their crappy GUI.

The last dev leaving for the day would kick off the build script - most took
about 45 min on each platform. Building on all platforms was generally about 4
hrs of effort, if the build wasn't broke by a Windows-only programmer.

If you broke the build, you lost 1 build credit and got the hatred from all the
other devs. Peer pressure works wonders.  Cross-platform dev was harder then.

--
Got Linux? Used on smartphones, tablets, desktop computers, media centers, and
servers by kids, Moms, Dads, grandparents and IT professionals.