[ale] CentOS repositories question

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue May 12 11:17:16 EDT 2015

On May 12, 2015 10:33 AM, "DJ-Pfulio" <DJPfulio at jdpfu.com> wrote:

> >> people.  That was 1 current version per OS and perhaps 40
customizations 1-2 for
> >> each client.
> >
> > I thought doing packaging only for LTS releases was the only way a
small vendor
> > could offer support. Test code and new features go in the 6-9 month
release OS
> > platforms.
>
> I've had discussions with clients where we'd say - "we've never tried it
- any
> support calls will be time + materials."  Usually the people
running/using the
> software, didn't have any budget control, so they wouldn't try it.
>
> > So a single release of your product for RHEL 6 will also support centos
6 and
> > SuSE 10 and a repackaging/recompile/relink will work for Ubuntu 12 and
Debian
> > wheezy (?). New features are for new customers on new platforms.
>
> I never assume Ubuntu and Debian to be 100% compatible. Ubuntu has
recently been
> shipping non-stable kernel releases in their LTS releases - 3.13, 3.19,
>
> > So you have an interim release for centos 6.5 that adds new features.
Existing
> > customers can upgrade to the new version based on $$$ :-) unless you're
just
> > giving it away and only selling support.
>
> Releasing anything is a big deal. We'd contract technical writers for a
few
> weeks and the test team would be slammed for months even with the
automated
> testing tools. Every platform is a tiny bit different and bugs show up
that just
> don't make any sense - often because 3rd party tools aren't 100%
consistent
> either. Even with all this, releases would be staggered by which client
was most
> needy (largest contract).  It usually wasn't an issue, since we only had
about
> 40 clients world-wide for that software.
>
> > Look at setting up a koji system to support builds across all rpm
platforms. I
> > assume debian and ubuntu have something similar.
>
> We had automated builds 25 yrs ago, if that is what you are saying.

Koji does builds and packaging for all selected platforms. It uses a chroot
tool called mock to provide only the barest minimum of each base os kernel,
libs, etc for each base release and update version. It outputs completed
rpms , src.rpm and binaries, or fail logs sorted into web folders by
package, release, base os, version, etc.