[ale] Virtual networks

Dustin Strickland dustin.h.strickland at gmail.com
Tue May 12 09:55:09 EDT 2015

     My understanding of networking does not extend past physical
interfaces. I have a Wheezy VM host that runs many different services
for my LAN; OS testing, various database, LDAP, web, etc. servers.
Currently all running under KVM. All of the VMs aside from OS testing
are connected to a virtual network I created with virt-manager (0.9.1),
which I have set as 172.16.0.0/12 (a little excessive, maybe? :P). Some
don't even have an upstream connection, so can only be accessed from the
host. This all works great on my LAN, but I am thinking of adding
OpenVPN on the host so I and other users can more easily access these
services from mobile devices.

     From what I read about OpenVPN's setup, it's required to bridge an
interface. I haven't looked too much in to this as it seems a little
over-my-head and I haven't had sufficient time to dedicate to the task
as of yet. Would the bridged interface be a bridge of the VLAN
interface? Additionally, if this is the case, I would need to define
this bridge in addition to the VLAN in /etc/networking/interfaces (or
else the bridge that OpenVPN is trying to attach to would be created
before the interface that it's bridging), correct? Or am I just thinking
about this entirely the wrong way? Any
suggestions/explanations/this-is-an-IT-nightmare-have-you-considered-doing-it-this-way's
are greatly appreciated.