[ale] CentOS repositories question

Jim Kinney jkinney at jimkinney.us
Tue May 12 08:07:22 EDT 2015

Sounds like the same old PHB problem. "We will use this application because I read an advertisement and called them and they bought me a really nice lunch. You must make it work."

Again, the problem is not with RHEL/SuSE for have a point-in-time release and backports system. This is the best way to provide a long life for complicated software that PHBs pay huge $$ for. The problem is with the PHBs of the software vendors who don't do their due diligence and maintain their product properly over the lifespan of the point-in-time release. It's also the fault of the PHB who paid for the code and failed to get an enforceable support plan that included prompt releases to accommodate base system updates.

In fact, because the developmental cycle of RHEL and others includes public discussion, pre-release alpha and beta versions and public viewable bug databases, there's no excuse for third party vendors to not keep their product current.