[ale] 10G networking

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at dsservices.com
Fri May 8 16:07:40 EDT 2015

To me it makes sense a cable that somehow converted fibre light to copper electrical (or vice versa) would be more expensive than either an all copper or all fibre cable because such cables would have to have some sort of electronics built in (even if just photoelectric cells) to do the signal conversion.

I’ve never seen such a cable though so would be interested in what they look like.   Years ago I did see a box that would convert copper rj11 to fibre (and vice versa).   The purpose of that was for locations that had high lightning strikes (e.g. Florida) so one could do distance wiring runs not affected by electrical storms.   It probably was worth it for such sites.