[ale] OT where do all the old programmers go.

Phil Turmel philip at turmel.org
Sun Apr 12 19:58:13 EDT 2015

On 04/12/2015 09:34 AM, Atlanta Geek wrote:
> Im well into my 40s and am finding that I am normally the oldest developer
> in my team. Im not sure how this happened or when this happened (that 7
> year stint at a company I got too comfortable at was like a time warp.)  I
> also came across this article:
> http://improvingsoftware.com/2009/05/19/programmers-before-you-turn-40-get-a-plan-b/
>
> So where have all the 90s developers gone.  Cause there was a lot of us.

They find niches of their own.  I'm an electrical engineer and
programmer, but I rarely mention the programmer aspect when discussing
things with clients and colleagues.  It may be 90% of what I do, but
hardly anybody understands that.

Fortunately, at 48 I own my business, so I don't have to explain.

Phil