[ale] OT where do all the old programmers go.

coverturtle coverturtle at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 11:28:02 EDT 2015

90's programmers?
Where did we go?  Hey, most of us retired.   Take Fred Fish for
example.  I shared a cube with Fred for a couple years.  He was totally
into the zone, very productive and able to keep his personal and
professional lives separate.  He also had other dreams, other desires,
that he was finally able to afford his other dreams.   He bought a ship
and sailed around the world.  As I knew him, he always had a happy
demeanor, a smile on his face and cheer in his voice.

Of the friends and associates I worked with during the 80's and 90's,
most have retired, gone into management, started their own company or
just taken jobs with other companies.  Those who have retired have found
other interests and hobbies to explore.

Why?  Perhaps because the landscape has changed and expanded so radically.

Youth is "worshipped" in business not just because of their beauty, but
also because their ignorance, impatience and energy are prime candidates
for manipulation to the advantage of their employers.