[ale] AT&T best statement from support

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Thu Apr 9 22:15:51 EDT 2015

On 2015-04-09 18:22, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> On Wed, 2015-04-08 at 23:30 -0700, Alex Carver wrote:
>> "We don't have network people here."
>
> No shit Sherlock.  What was your first clue?
>
> At least they were honest about it, contrary to the other ILEC in the
> area who lie any time their lips move.

Sadly they are the least annoying around here.  My only other choice is
Comcast.

I had called in because I needed my modem to stop using IP connection
tracking on non-NATed IPs (I have a set of static public IPs).  The
state table only has 1024 spaces allotted split evenly between inbound
and outbound packets.  It tracks every single connection whether it's to
my public IPs or to the IP of the modem itself (which is a different IP
entirely from my block).  Anytime I get hammered with traffic, the table
fills up and I get knocked offline.

I explained this is only going to get worse for all of their customers,
not just me, as the Internet-of-Things takes hold.