[ale] Changing Linux

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 15:10:07 EDT 2014

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 2:21 PM, David Jackson <deepbsd at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi guys.
>
> So, not to start a holy war or anything, but how does the notion of
> systemd and journald startups reconcile with the long-standing UNIX
> tradition of simplicity and high reliability?  Of using simple text files
> and daemons that can die or hang without bringing down the entire system?

This is not your fathers unix :-)

That would be a near unholy war, actually.

Things are changing. The next ALE meeting (Oct 16)  will be discussing the
systemd (good, bad and ugly) process.

Actually, systemd replaces init. The shell stuff is still around, just very
different.

> Mind you, I'm just coming back to Linux after a long lay off, so I've
> missed a lot of these discussions that you all probably have been having
> over these years.  If Debian is using systemd now, and they're still as
> "free" and "traditional" as they always were, I must be missing quite a bit
> by parachuting into the middle of all this.  BTW, I'm not finding systemd
> on my Slackware 14.1 system.
>
> Slackware just transitioned to elf binary format from a.out last week so
don't expect systemd until around 2112 :-)

Had to poke Slackware. It's been since v8 that I've run Slackware for
anything other than a base distro install test.

> Any thoughts?

I look forward to a nice stout beer after work. I think that one often.

> Dave

James P. Kinney III

Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

*http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
<http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/>*