[ale] OT - SED drive compatibility

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 12:46:51 EDT 2014

Using LUKS software encryption on a system with 15k RPM drives will be a
minimal hit on performance as long as there is adequate RAM and cores to do
the decryption. A single core is enough and the RAM needs are actually
small. A few blocks at a time are fed through for decrypt then passed to
buffers for use.

I use LUKS on EVERY public facing (and many internal only systems) server.
The only big caveat is the need to have remote console so the password can
be entered for key decryption after a reboot.

On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 12:08 PM, Adrya Stembridge <
adrya.stembridge at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm learning that I may have some software-based encryption options with
> LUKS and dm-crypt.   The machine I'm working on now will be replaced in 3
> years, so I just need something to get by on till then.   It's primarily
> used for a web application and database, and has fewer than 50 users.
> There are a lot of writes happening, but no encoding - just text/html and
> PDF creation.
>
> Is using software encryption a bad idea for a server?   Would that provide
> better performance than going from 15000 to 7200 rpm SAS drive?
>

> On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 1:36 PM, JD <jdp at algoloma.com> wrote:
>
> > If you care about being FIPS certified, i wouldn't touch ANY
> non-certified
> > configuration.  No way, no how. Why risk your job over something like
> that?
> >
> > OTOH, if you want encrypted storage and don't care, then let your budget
> > be your
> > guide.

James P. Kinney III

Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

*http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
<http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/>*